One of the most popular forms of passive fire protection.
What is a fire board?
Fire boards are one of the most popular forms of passive fire protection. They are used for new builds to insulate or redistribute heat but they can also be used as flame-resisting barriers to compartmentalise areas within a building, ventilate ducts or protect any electrical equipment that may be inside.
In the event of a fire, the fire board can resist heat, smoke and flames. As a result, they help to stop flames and smoke from spreading to other areas of the building. Through this, fire boards help to maintain the structural integrity of things such as walls, ceilings, and floors.
Maintaining the structural integrity of a building during a fire is very important as it allows anyone inside the building to evacuate securely within a safe amount of time.
What are the benefits of fire boards?
- The boards are highly resistant to heat and can be used in conjunction with other flame resistant measures to ensure the fire safety of a building.
- They are lightweight for easy installation and quite durable thus providing an efficient method of resistance to protect your building against damage from flames, heat or smoke.
- The boards also come with various additional benefits you may not have considered, such thermal insulation. This makes them a versatile option for fire safety solutions.
- The boards are also known for being able to provide soundproofing benefits. This is a useful thing to consider if you want to block sound transmission between the walls in a building.
- The boards are also moisture resistant. This means that they are suitable to be installed into bathrooms or even basements if they are prone to dampness.
All of these factors contribute to a versatile solution to prevent the spread of flames as well as providing additional benefits such as thermal and acoustic insulation.
The boards are best used alongside other fire protection measures to strengthen the resistance.